Thursday, February 23, 2012

Pleates Are NOT My Friend.

So, part of having a BJD (Ball Jointed Doll) is that you get to make your own clothes for your doll or other dolls. So I am OK I need to get patterns started. I need to get my name out there. I need to get the experience in there. And heck, I made doll clothes before for barbies and Bennie Babies how difficult can it be.

Heads up it helps to have a $3,000.00 PFAFF machine to make this task less difficult.

The machine worked great at first sewing two layers just fine, and the foot lever is broken it seems that over the time and being in the heat it broke down the materials so it no longer worked. (Brings scary thoughts of doll being in heat and sun.) I double layer the material with the idea to make the pleats stiffer to hold better, and the material to not be so see through. I also shortly learned I didn't cut enough extra length. So the folds have to be adjusted to be wider, in doing so in it looks good at first but after wards it looks so much more like just a plain ruffle skirt. I even ironed the material to have the folds stay in place and it seems to only have made the material fade. Sad Face. And This is when I find out my sewing mach. is now fully acting up. Between bobbin tension too tight, Needle not going through 4 layers of fabric, and I using a denim and thick material needle. I just couldn't find my solution.


The Machine that I will find out what's wrong with it if it kills me.
The skirt partially finish on a furniture decor wire manikin SD size from Joanns. It works quite well.

Tips will help. I think I will be starting from scratch when my weekend starts.